How to Make Money with an Online Business in 2019
Have you ever wanted to increase your income so that you have more money to pay off debt, invest, or spend on fun lifestyle experiences?
Or maybe you’ve wanted to start your own business relating to something your passionate about and let that income replace or supplement your current job.
My solution to you today is to start your own profitable online business. Online businesses are extremely cheap to get started and can yield high returns on investment as well as passive income that comes in while you sleep. An online business gives you the opportunity to share your expertise with others and get compensated for it as well.
Below you are going to find my 17 steps to starting a profitable online business and these steps will get you up and running in a day or less depending on how much time you devote to building your online business.
Save yourself the initial research because I’ve got you covered.
17 Tips to Make Money Online in 2019
Enjoy these 17 steps and if you need more tips and help, then simply fill out the form at the bottom to join my email newsletter community and I’ll be hopping into your inbox from time to time each week delivering more helpful lessons and value.
- Determine Your Passion – write down things that interest you the most that you could build an online business around. You want your business to be fun and enjoy building it so pick something you love to talk about with other people. You don’t have to be an expert on the subject right now.
- Research Possible Domain Names – come up with different URL ideas for your website. For example, if you were writing about fitness you could search domains such as FitnessJunkie.com, FitnessForEntrepreneurs.com, and others to see if these domains are available. The first few ideas for a domain URL that you have will likely already be taken. You can check availability by going here to Namecheap.com
- Purchase Hosting & Domain URL – once you’ve found a domain that is available, you need to purchase it so that it’s now officially yours and no one else can purchase it in the next few days or weeks. Every day thousands of domains are being purchased. You can either purchase it on Namecheap.com or when you buy hosting you can select a domain to come with your hosting plan. For hosting, I recommend using BlueHost as that’s who I use and so do many other online professionals for running their websites. I’ve created a video tutorial showing you step by step how to purchase hosting and download WordPress if you want to watch it here.
- Download WordPress and Log In – After purchasing hosting, you’ll log in to your BlueHost account dashboard and download WordPress to use as the platform your site runs on. It’s a super simple software for building a website and highly customizable. WordPress makes life easy as you don’t have to have any experience with websites and don’t have to mess with all the ugly coding that some people build websites from scratch with.
- Select a Theme – Once you are logged in, head to the appearance tab and find a free theme for your website. The theme is like the paint job or design to your car. Every website you visit will have a different theme (color scheme, layout, design, etc). See this tutorial series.
- Configure General Settings – You also want to configure the general settings in WordPress which only takes a few minutes. See this tutorial series.
- Download Plugins – plugins are like apps on a phone. They allow your website to have and do different things. One for example is a YouTube video plugin that allows you to paste in the URL of a YouTube video and put it in your sidebar so that people scrolling your sidebar will see the video and potentially click it to watch. See my recommended list of plugins to download.
- Create Pages & Menu – start designing your website by building webpages and setting up a menu that goes at the top of a website so people can navigate to different pages of your website easily. See how in this tutorial series.
- Research Topics and Keywords to Write About – use a keyword research tool like NobleSamurai, Long Tail Pro, or Google Keyword Planner to discover keywords that people are searching each month and the search volume. You’ll want to include these keywords in your page or article so that Google ranks your website for these keywords and when people search a phrase in Google with these keywords, your website hopefully comes up as one of the first page search results, generating you traffic and viewers.
- Select an Email Newsletter Provider – now that you have a website and webpages, you’ll want to create an email list and newsletter series that people receive upon joining your list. Email lists are very important to your online business as you need to capture the traffic coming to your website so that you can stay in touch with them and build customer loyalty for future products you launch to sell. I recommend using ConvertKit as your email list service but you can also check out AWeber and Mailchimp.
- Create an Email Newsletter Series – Next you’ll want to build an email series that your email subscribers receive over the next year after joining your list. You can set your series up on automation so it sends out your emails at set intervals and is hands off for you. For example, email #1 in the series can come Day 1 that they join, and then email #2 can come 3 days later and email #3 can come 7 days after email #2 was sent, and so on.
- Create a Free Giveaway to Attract Email Subscribers – once you signed up with an email provider company and created your list and newsletter series, next you need to create a free giveaway to attract people into joining your list. You offer something of value for free such as an eBook, video series, or like this checklist I offered you. Then your audience gives you their email in exchange for being able to access or download their free gift. Overtime you’ll build up an email list of 100s or 1,000s as more and more people subscribe to your list for the free value you are giving away in exchange for them opting in.
- Build an Optin Form – Now that you have a list and a free giveaway, you need to create optin forms that appear in different places on your website as well as one that pops up when someone goes to exit your website. These will be the forms that convey your free gift and have a form for the person to input their email and possibly name before hitting the call to action button (which can say “Get my Free Book Now”). To build optin forms, I recommend using OptinMonster. I recently saw an article with 60 online professionals listing their top 3 resources to building an email list and OptinMonster ranked #2 out of 20 different resources and tools. It allows you to easily customize forms and has pre built templates that look attractive and engaging to draw in your subscribers.
- Create a Landing Page for Your Free Giveaway & Optin Form – you also want a webpage dedicated solely to your free giveaway, which is also known as a landing page. You can link to this page from various other pages on your website, social media, and YouTube video descriptions so that it funnels people to this landing page. Your landing page will be a brief about page that demonstrates what you are giving away in exchange for an optin and why it benefits your viewer. Make sure to answer the question your viewer is likely asking internally: “What is in this for me?” Then place an optin form on this page to capture traffic.
- Write Blog Posts and Link to Landing Page to Drive Traffic – after building an email list, newsletter series, and creating optin forms and pages, you need to drive traffic to these optin opportunities. You can do so by creating a blog page on your website and posting blog articles each week or month on different topics related to your passion/niche. Insert links to your landing page or embed the optin form into the blog posts and give a call to action so that people check out your free giveaway and potentially optin.
- Create a Product Launch Promotion – As you are building your email list over time, also be thinking of products you are going to eventually sell to your list. Create a product launch promotion, stating that you’ll be launching your product at such and such date. This will get your audience excited for the product to launch if you do a good job promoting it and why it will benefit your audience. By stating a date for the launch, it also gives you a deadline so that you are motivated and pushed forward to completing the product before then. Without a deadline, you might never finish or procrastinate.
- Create Product and Begin Selling – Finally, create your product(s) and begin selling them on your website. Create landing pages a.k.a. sales pages for each product as well so you can clearly explain what the product is and why it is beneficial. Don’t worry about creating a perfect product. Make a good product, launch it, and improve it later once you get feedback or discover ways to make it better. If you worry about making the perfect product, you’ll never launch and you’ll waste too much time.
Want weekly tips and lessons sent straight to your inbox? Subscribe here to my email community newsletter or fill out the optin form below. You’ll also receive a free gift when you join as you can read about below. See you soon.
Learn Real Estate Investing in 10 Days
Learn the 10 basic steps to becoming a real estate investor by signing up for my free 10 day email course. Each day I'll send you the next lesson.